Red and Orange Bell Peppers with Penne
September 20, 2006
Penne never gets old--especially dressed with some red onions and balsamic vinegar. This pasta is best served just warm, but you can also make it cold. I decided to use tri-colored bell peppers for this recipe as green peppers tend not to be as sweet and tender as the yellow, red, and orange pepers.
You will need:
- 4 cups of cooked penne pasta
- 3 thinly sliced bell peppers
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp of Balsamic vinegar whisked into 4 tbsp of olive oil
- seasonal herbs such as chopped fresh Italian parsley, fresh thyme, or fresh basil.
- 1/2 c of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Step One: In a saute pan, add 3 tbsp of olive oil, the garlic, peppers, and onions. Cover this pan with a lid or piece of foil and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked, but still have a crunchy bite.
Step Two: Add the herbs and balsamic/olive oil mixture and cook for another 3-5 minutes until warmed through. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cooked penne pasta and Parmesan cheese, mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Serve while still warm.