<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar/17826513?origin\x3dhttps://laplaticona.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

La Platicona Habla: Tastes, Passions and Pursuits

For food lovers, hungry people, and cooking officionados or novices. This blog is for people who are real cooks, wannabe cooks, or no cooks at all. Almost all of these recipes are vegetarian, some use seafood. Recipes are creations of my own, adaptations from cookbooks, or from other internet sources with links.

Cannellini Bean Soup & Basil

March 09, 2006

Did you go out and buy that random can of white kidney beans, a.k.a. cannellini beans? I sure did, and boy am I glad I bought 2! These delicate little beans make a delightful simple soup when combined with whole peeled tomatoes. I served these beans with a side of spinach and walnut salad, and Clotilde's Herb Muffins (see post from February 5, 2006 and Clotilde's link on the side bar).

You will need: 1 can of cannelini beans; 1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes; 1 large piece of shallot diced; 1 bunch of basil thinly sliced; 1 tbsp of tomato puree; handful of chopped italian parsley; salt & pepper; olive oil; 3 cloves of garlic; chile piquin crushed.

Step One: In a stock pot, add garlic, 3 tbsp of olive oil, shallots, and chile piquin. Saute on medium heat until translucent.

Step Two: Add those beans, liquid and all, and more olive oil if necessary. Cook this for about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands, and tomato puree. Bring to a slight simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley and serve hot.

Hint: I used 2 leftover parmesan rinds in my soup for added flavor. I also cooked a side of tubetti pasta and added right before serving (cooking it in the pot only makes it overcook, so boil this separately and add as needed).

Labels: , , ,

posted by Anonymous, Thursday, March 09, 2006

0 Comments:

Add a comment